Gluten Free Flour
- 3 cups rice flour, white or brown works
- 1 cup potato starch, NOT flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon Xanthan gum (do not leave this out–you will have a sticky mess baking without it!)
I use this in most regular cookies and quick breads, not just gluten free recipes. If it is a rather “wet” recipe, then I sometimes combine it with some oat flour to stiffen up the dough. I hope this helps others to use their favourite old recipes in a gluten free way! It works for oatmeal, peanut butter, ginger…. you get the idea.
I have yet to try it with yeast bread, as I find gluten free yeast breads to be just a bit icky, so I have no delusions that I might do it better!
Gluten Free Brownies (using above flour)
- Oven at 350 degrees, butter bottom of 8 inch square glass pan
- In sauce pan, melt 2 stick butter or margerine (2 1/4 stick if using cocoa powder) and 5 oz unsweetened chocolate, unless using cocoa powder
- add 2 cups sugar
- plus 2 cups cocoa powder (if not using chocolate above)
- Mix well, add 4 eggs
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour and 3/4 cups chocolate chips (reduce flour to 1 cup if not using chips)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares.